A.M. Best Places Ratings of Forethought Life Insurance Compa
Thursday, May 14,2009, 3:22:29 PM Click:
These actions reflect A.M. Best's concern with FLIC's decline in statutory capitalization, net loss on a statutory and GAAP basis, its high unrealized loss position and significant level of intangibles relative to its GAAP equity.
The ratings have been placed under review following discussions with FLIC's ultimate parent company, Forethought Financial Group, Inc. (FFG), about significant new capital raising initiatives. These efforts are expected to improve the capital position of the organization to support growth and offset any additional investment losses. While A.M. Best expects tangible progress in these efforts in the near term, the ratings of FLIC will be negatively impacted should the capital raising efforts be unsuccessful.
FLIC recorded a decline in its reported statutory capital and surplus following investment impairments and net operating losses. These losses were somewhat offset by capital contributions from FFG. A.M. Best notes that FFG was successful in paying down a large portion of its outstanding debt; however, the high level of intangibles and large unrealized losses have stressed FFG's balance sheet and its exposure relative to equity remains high.
The ratings continue to reflect FLIC's adequate risk-adjusted capitalization, strong market position in the pre-need segment and the simplification of its organizational structure. FLIC also has taken steps to reduce the investment risk on its balance sheet by employing experienced external asset managers and investing in higher rated credits.
For Best's Ratings, an overview of the rating process and rating methodologies, please visit www.ambest.com/ratings.
The principal methodologies used in determining these ratings, including any additional methodologies and factors that may have been considered, can be found at www.ambest.com/ratings/methodology.
Founded in 1899, A.M. Best Company is a global full-service credit rating organization dedicated to serving the financial and health care service industries, including insurance companies, banks, hospitals and health care system providers. For more information, visit www.ambest.com.
A.M. Best Co.
Raj Shah, 908-439-2200, ext. 5409
Stephen Irwin, 908-439-2200, ext. 5454
Jim Peavy, 908-439-2200, ext. 5644
Rachelle Morrow, 908-439-2200, ext. 5378
Source: A.M. Best Company
You may also be interested in:
Deutsche Bank's Asset Management division today announced that Kaj Ahlmann has
SAN RAMON, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- As authorized under Title III of the
Noting that the Obama administration is expected to unveil its plan to enhance
Copyright 2009 Crain CommunicationsAll rights reserved Business Insurance 16
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina_The embattled insurer American International Group
Chinese insurance companies are expected to keep their investment yield at a
Copyright: The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- A.M. Best Places Ratings of Forethought Life Insurance Compa
- A.M. Best Downgrades Issuer Credit and Debt Ratings of Jackson National Life Insurance Company and Its Affiliates
- A.M. Best Downgrades Ratings of Bankers Life Insurance Company; Revises Outlook to Negative
- Till Death Do Us Part; How second-to-die life insurance pol
- Farmers Insurance(R) Named One of the 'Best Companies to Work For' in the Greater Kansas City Area
- Chartis Charts Its Path Away From AIG
- Prepared Insurance Strategy Shaped by Florida Regulation, Rates
- A.M. Best Revises Outlook to Negative for AXA Financial, Inc
- Generali Pilipinas Marks Record Bancassurance Performance in the Philippines
- Bank of America began to reduce the principal amount of mortgage loan modifications
- AHIP Rejects Insurance Industry Fees in Baucus' Health Reform Bill
- Guardium for Momentum Fuels customer database by IBM Softwar
- Who should pay for accidents aid: Insured or taxpayers?
- A.M. Best Upgrades Ratings of 1st Choice Auto Insurance Comp
- Counseling Help Line Available for People deal with floods i
- Indiana teachers union to cover disability claims
- Coalition Says Public Health Option Would Lead to Single-Payer System
- Research and Markets: New Report for the US Pharmaceutical Market with Outlook To 2014 - Latest Market Trends, Leading Players and Forecast Analysis